The country is on the left of the ancient and wide valley of the Tagliamento river immediately upstream of the morainic tilaventino anfitheater.
It is divided into villages that find their justification in the various morphology produced over time by the streams and the glaciers, as well as from the original geological structures. The area develops particularly along the southern foothills of the Cuarnan mountain and along the western foothills of the Faeit mountain, dismembered and modified by the episodes of deposition.
The castle was rebuilt after the earthquake of 1976, which is all that remains of the fortress that until the fourteenth century occupied the top of the hill, surrounding it with its walls. It belongs to the original building and perhaps to the oldest nucleus – the tower, the so-called “Lombard”, which was placed near the front door. For the rest, the building has suffered several changes over time. The castle is still not completely recovered and therefore it can not be visited.
The votive church, dedicated to St. Stephen is located above the Rio Clama, almost at the foot of the hill of the village of Monte, next to the mountain of Faet. From the excavations it turns that the birth of the church dates back to the eleventh century. The church had already been present in a will of 1291, but probably already in a previous period (eighth century) there rose a sacred building first dedicated to St. Leonhard in Clama.
The walls are covered by frescoes and they were made by a Friulian artist (linked to the school of Villach) and they are dated back to the XI-XII and XV century, representing religious scenes from the New Testament. New frescoes were discovered in 1978 by the restorers during the under lackluster disconnection from those visible in order to allow the repair of the wall structure of the church damaged by the last earthquake. The repair that has been finished by volunteers from Artegna in 1983.
These ancient frescoes are thought to have been covered in order to disinfect the walls, by using lime, from one of the numerous epidemic plagues that flogged across the centuries. Ancient sculptures have been found inside the altar as a result of its removal. The history tells us about a tradition from the 1500, according to the legacy of the Madus family, who participated in the “rogation” and stood under the porch, a refreshment was offered.
Every year on December 26, in honor of the saint patron, the church was reopened and a mass was celebrated.
The hill of San Martino is a monumental complex that also includes the church and the castle. The large parish church, Santa Maria Nascente, dates back to 1829 and is the work of Pietro Schiavi. Inside is decorated with frescoes by Sebastiano Santi (Ceiling, 1832), Leonardo Rigo (presbytery, 1888-1892) and Aurelio Mariani (chorus, 1930). In one of the altars, it is placed a painting by Luigi Pletti, a painter from Udine, a San Domenico with remarkable boldness of lights and color. Above the altar of SS. Crucifix, there is a large wooden crucifix of the sixteenth century, close to the ways of Giovanni Martini.
The church, in its present form, dates back to the sixteenth century, that is, when the people of Artegna repaired it after the earthquake that ruined it in 1511.
The large parish church, Santa Maria Nascente, dates back to 1829 and is the work of Pietro Schiavi. Inside is decorated with frescoes by Sebastiano Santi (Ceiling, 1832), Leonardo Rigo (presbytery, 1888-1892) and Aurelio Mariani (chorus, 1930). In one of the altars, it is placed a painting by Luigi Pletti, a painter from Udine, a San Domenico with remarkable boldness of lights and color. Above the altar of SS. Crucifix, there is a large wooden crucifix of the sixteenth century, close to the ways of Giovanni Martini.
The Eco-museum is located in the Water Mill Cocconi in Ospedaletto di Gemona.
The structure houses the museum of milling art, a documentation center about water and land, and an educational workshop for schools. This structure suggests a model of management of the land that interprets, preserves and enhances the many natural sites (sources, lakes, rivers and streams) and also the numerous manifestations of material culture (irrigation canals, mills, sinks) and in the nearby of Gemona form a true system. At this project adhere many municipalities with appropriate agreements as Gemona, Artegna, Buja, Majano, Montenars and Osoppo.
Altitude above sea level (Town Hall): 210 m
Area: 11 sq km
Location and Fractions: Sornico Lower, Upper Sornico
The main event of the town which is held every year in the month of November, “Purcit in staiare”; Purcit is a term in Friuli to indicate the pig, the staiare is an ancient dance in Friuli, imported from Styria Habsburg, which was performed in the traditional festivals.
Purcit in staiare means a party to relive the joyful atmosphere that every year at the end of November used to be created in the villages of Friuli during the slaughter of the pig, the most valuable asset of the family, and the preparation of meats and condiments that would have been the main intake of animal protein and fat for the many components of the rural family of Friuli throughout the year.
The event offers to the visitors the chance to taste, in various camarins, the old cellars set up in the streets of the town, the products of the region made by the meat of the pig, expertly processed by butchers from Artegna. Among the various entertainment there are also organized several musical performances, ethnographic exhibitions, conferences and moments of cultural enrichment.